IP based geolocation is becoming an essential means for delivering personalised user experience. Many internet services like news, social networks, video streaming sites, e-commerce and location-based apps are dependent on accurate IP geolocation data. It is widely utilised for fraud prevention and cybersecurity. Incorrect IP Geolocation can negatively affect the overall user online experience, often leading to customer complains.
BigDataCloud uses patent-pending AI-driven technology to determine usage localities of all active IP addresses worldwide. In short, it relies on various data sources combined with proprietary network discovery technology to estimate geographical service areas for all public routers taking part in global internet connectivity map.
It does not use hardcoded or fixed location assignments, and every single IP address in the world is being recalculated or re-estimated daily and automatically.
In the vast majority of cases, the BigDataClolud system is very capable of determining the right geographical areas for all on its own. However, if you're an internet service provider or operator of an IP address space (ASN) you can use the following checklist to ensure your address space is getting the best chance for the most reliable IP Geolocation possible.
Best practice checklist (ordered in the level of importance)
- Avoid private IP addresses for public-facing network router interfaces
- Make sure all public IP addresses utilised by your network routers are announced on BGP
- Make sure that all public network router interfaces configured to respond to a standard SNTP request (RFC 4330)
- If your address space is registered with RIPE, make sure you provide correct information under "geoloc:" attribute
- You can let us have your Self-published IP Geolocation Data in Google Public Geo-feed file format, if available